Sunday, December 29, 2013

Protect Those Safety Glasses!

I was rooting around the web looking at things people have been doing in the shop when I ran across a great way to re-purpose an old sock and protect the safety glasses all at once.

 Here's a pair of safety glasses with an old sock I scrounged from my sock drawer. The sock protects the glasses from scratches and dust, both of which make it harder to work safely and effectively.


And here's a decent place to keep them.  I just used an old speaker magnet to hold it to the metal shelf of my project work table.

Later, I might put a grommet on the sock so I can hang it from the pegboard. Other options are to put them in a drawer, tie a string to the sock to hang it from equipment or just leave as is on the work table when not in use.

While I'm at it, decent safety glasses are relatively cheap. Once they turn yellow, or get too hazy from scratches to see clearly it is time to retire them to the file 13 and buy a new pair. I actually keep ten pairs or so floating around the shop to keep me from 'neglecting' to put them on.

Until then, an effective glass cleaner will keep them serviceable. I prefer Pledge as it minimizes the light scratches and reduces the possibility of fogging.

Lastly, if you ride a motorcycle, ordinary sunglasses do not provide ballistic protection! Go to Lowes or Home Depot or your favorite hardware store and buy a decent set of tinted safety glasses to wear when riding.  If you are ever hit by a rock or a June Bug you will be glad you took my advice.

1 comment: