Monday, January 13, 2014

A Rubber Sanding Block and Scotchbrite To Cleanup Flat Bare Metal

I have a number of pieces of equipment in the shop that have flat bare metal surfaces. In order to keep them in top shape I scrub off the rust I may find and rewax them on a regular basis.

In order to clean the flat surfaces effectively, I use a rubber sanding block over a piece of Scotchbrite to remove rust and stuck on stuff like paint or adhesives.

 Here I'm using red Scotchbrite on my table saw, but I think green would work too.
The rubber sanding block gets good pressure on the surface and works the surface evenly. I suggest rubbing only as hard as necessary to remove whatever is offending the sensibilities.

As soon as I am done I rub down the worked area with Turtlewax, let it dry and buff off the excess residue. This routine keeps the bare metal surfaces bright and shiny, plus allows work to slide across the surface much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment