Monday, January 13, 2014

Wiring outlets to the Workbench - Overhead

I got good and tired of hunting for outlets around my project workbench so I decided to take care of the problem.

I sat down and looked at the stuff I had on hand. Let's see: I had a nice piece of heavy duty electrical cord from a broken reciprocating saw, plenty of electrical cable, 2 outlets, particle board screws, some nuts, bolts and washers to mount the outlets with, and I swiped some cable protector plastic bits from come cable staples I had on hand. This left only the metal surface mount outlet boxes and metal covers. The whole buy list came to something like Six Bucks.

Here's the result:
I mounted one outlet on the right side of the bench using nuts, bolts and washers. 
 Then I did the same on the left side of the bench.
 I ran the electrical cable from one to the other on the underside of the particle board shelf using the plastic cable protectors and particle board screws.  I fastened the cable as close to the outlet boxes as I could and then fastened the cable every 6 inches. This may be overkill, but I didn't want someone to decide the cable makes a great hanger of some sort. Better would have been a section of conduit between the outlet boxes, but this will do for now.
I wired the salvaged electrical cord to the left side outlet and simply plugged it into a convenient outlet.
I then rerouted the cord for the light and plugged it in. The beauty of this design is that I can still take the workbench apart easily if I feel it's necessary.
And here's an overview of the workbench with the new outlets. After accounting for the bench light I still have three outlets conveniently located right at the bench regardless of where I may move it to.

If I were to buy all of the bits to do this project the expense would have been quite a bit higher so I made out pretty well and it totally validates scrounging as a means of extending the garage budget. While this project depleted the garage budget a little, it was more than worth the effort and Six Dollar expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment