Friday, January 3, 2014

Reusing Old Cotton and Flannel Clothes and Bedsheets for Shop Towels

The last time I checked the prices of the red shop towels it seemed pretty pricy to me at $3 plus per dozen towels.  I admit that washing and reusing them cuts the overall cost when compared to the disposable shop towels, but I think I can do better for my budget.

Since free is way better than 25 cents apiece for a comparable item, I decided that scrounging through the old laundry pile was the way to go.

A ripped bedsheet and pair of cotton pajama bottoms gave me the material I needed to do just that.



The PJ bottoms netted 20 shop towels, some small and a few large, but mostly medium ones. I didn't get pics of the bedsheet, but you get the idea anyway. I didn't count the yield from the bedsheet, but it was a queen and I tended to go with 10"x10" or so. I'll guess I got around 40 towels out of it.

So, for my effort to scrounge two articles from the laundry pile that were headed to the dumpster anyway, I got about 60 shop towels. The money I saved can be used somewhere else in the garage.




No comments:

Post a Comment