Thursday, January 2, 2014

Uses for a Coat Hanger

A metal coat hanger has a number of uses, and not just to hold a muffler in place. It makes a great substitute for any application that requires a reasonably stiff wire, plus it can be used to weld in a pinch.Yes, I said weld. Take an acetylene torch and using a small #0 tip, it is possible to use the coat hanger to weld two pieces of sheet metal together.

 I always keep a few handy in the garage in case some need comes up.
In this case I needed to paint some metal brackets and didn't want the problems associated with painting the  parts on a flat surface. Instead I hung the brackets on wire hooks made from coat hangers to get the job done a little better.

Not pictured: With a bit of cutting and bending, I can make hangers for my pegboard. The ones found in stores are usually overkill for the weight they are asked to hold and a bit of wire coat hanger works just as well for light or moderate weight items.

No comments:

Post a Comment