Monday, January 13, 2014

Salvage Wax from an Old Jar Candle

It's well known that wax makes a great lubricant and rust protector, but should I have to buy it by the stick in order to take advantage of it?

Well, no.

This morning my sister threw a used up jar candle in the trash and it got me to thinking; can I salvage some wax out of the jar? What can I put it in to make it useful?

I dredged the candle jar out of the trash and, yes, there's wax still in the jar, even though the candle wick burned all the way down to the bottom. Great! Now the experiment's on!


 Here I've placed the candle jar in some hot water to melt the wax.
 Some scrounging later, and I came up with an ice cube tray to pour the melted wax into to cool.
 Wow! Eight and a half cubes?! I thought I might get 2 or 3. To speed up cooling, I placed the tray into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. The wax was still just a little soft when I popped out the wax cubes and they popped out easily this way.
And here's the new supply of wax blocks I can use to lube and protect equipment. They will be better protected from dust and dirt in the Ziplock bag. The ice cube tray was already cracked so it will head out to the garage for use in future projects as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment