Sunday, January 5, 2014

Woodworking and Dust

Anytime I work on wood and I'm certain I'll generate dust, I make sure to wear a dust mask. Even,if the wood has no poisons or irritants in it, the dust is no good for the lungs. I recommend the same approach for anyone that works with wood in general.

Having said that there's a chart running around the internet that lists all of the known toxic woods. The toxicity varies with the wood along with the type of ailment it produces. Some are mild irritants, but a few are also known to cause cancer in some cases. Yikes!

Here's the list: Space Coast Woodturners, Toxic Wood Chart

I looked it over and on the list are Hemlock, Spruce, Redwood, and Western Red Cedar.  All of these are used in general construction, fencing or deck building. I also see Sequoia on the list, but haven't seen it in my local lumber yards.

The list of toxic domestic woods that may be used in joinery and furniture making is quite a bit bigger. See the list for details.

Another toxic wood is pressure treated; this is regardless of the original species of the wood.  DON'T even burn the pressure treated wood scraps as it contains Arsenic and there is no way to make it non-poisonous.

I plan to wear a face mask or respirator anytime I have a wood working project to do. I mostly do carpentry projects, so I only need to worry about the dust during cutting operations.

Someday though, I plan to start furniture making and this will involve more sanding and shaping of the wood than carpentry usually demands. As I make this transition I'll make the investments I deem necessary to reduce or eliminate dust during wood working. I already have a dust collector for the table saw so expanding the system can occur as equipment makes it into my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment